Jonathon Porritt is an eminent writer, broadcaster and commentator on environmental protection and sustainable development. He is a co-founder of Forum for the Future, which helps companies to understand and promote sustainable development. He is also co-director of The Prince of Wales’ Business and Environment Programme, non-executive director of Wessex Water and a trustee of the Ashden Awards for Sustainable Energy. He supports the work of a number of non-governmental organisations as patron, chair or special adviser. A founding member of the UK Ecology Party (now the Green Party), Jonathon acted as co-chair from 1980 until 1983. He has previously worked as director of Friends of the Earth, chairman of UNEP-UK (now the Stakeholder Forum for a Sustainable Future) and chairman of the South West Round Table for Sustainable Development. Beginning in 2000, he stood as Chairman of the UK Sustainable Development Commission for nine years, during which time he provided high-level advice to government ministers. Jonathon has published numerous books, including ‘Capitalism as if the world matters’, and ‘Living within our means’. In 2000 he received a CBE for his services to environmental protection.
Jonathon Porritt CBE
Joining the IES helps your personal and professional development. Whatever stage you are at in your career, the IES has membership services that will help you gain recognition and progress to the next level. Members come from all areas of the environment sector, wherever jobs are underpinned by sound science. Your membership grade within the IES depends on what stage you are at in your career.
Membership provides an extensive package of benefits including:
- 4 journals, the environmental SCIENTIST, per annum
- Regional and national events
- Contribute to our policy and guidance work
- Chance to apply for Chartered Scientist, Chartered Environmentalist and Registered Environmental Technician
- Recognition of professional status
- CPD recording tools
- Use of post-nominal letters
- Access to our exclusive monthly webinars
- Regular reports on the environmental science sector
- Discount on meeting room rates at our central London office