Jim Whelan has spent 30 years involved in sustainable development in various ways, but primarily in the field on planning and property. He is an independent consultant, advising a range of clients on urban policy development and practical delivery, strategic analysis of sustainable development options, economic and regeneration studies, and organisational change. He previously worked at GVA for over 20 years, where he was Director of Planning Research and Consultancy. Jim has been a member of IES since 1993, and on the Board since 1995, where he has acted as Honorary Treasurer for a number of terms.
Dr Jim Whelan
Joining the IES helps your personal and professional development. Whatever stage you are at in your career, the IES has membership services that will help you gain recognition and progress to the next level. Members come from all areas of the environment sector, wherever jobs are underpinned by sound science. Your membership grade within the IES depends on what stage you are at in your career.
Membership provides an extensive package of benefits including:
- 4 journals, the environmental SCIENTIST, per annum
- Regional and national events
- Contribute to our policy and guidance work
- Chance to apply for Chartered Scientist and Chartered Environmentalist
- Recognition of professional status
- CPD recording tools
- Use of post-nominal letters
- Access to our exclusive monthly webinars
- Regular reports on the environmental science sector