SoBRA’s report Guidance on Assessing Risk to Controlled Waters from UK Land Contamination Under Conditions of Future Climate Change (August 2022) is the first national industry guidance to actively consider how predicted climate change impacts should be incorporated within controlled waters risk assessments to ensure they remain sustainable and robust. This presentation will provide an overview of the guidance, including:
- a brief summary of regulatory background;
- an overview of climate change in the UK;
- how the effects of climate change could be incorporated in the hydrogeological conceptual site model (CSM);
- addressing climate change through all stages of land contamination risk assessment (PRA, GQRA and DQRA), including example case studies;
- signposting towards useful data sources.
Helen McMillan is an Associate Director within RSK Geoscience and led the SoBRA climate change and controlled waters sub-group. She is a qualified hydrogeologist, Chartered Geologist and ASoBRA (controlled waters / water environment) with twenty years’ experience working in environmental consultancy, specialising in land contamination risk assessment and environmental compliance projects. Helen takes pride in developing robust, practical, sustainable and cost-effective solutions to environmental problems on behalf of her clients. Through her professional approach, technical knowledge and wealth of experience she is highly proficient in achieving regulatory approval for projects, often minimising protracted discussions.