Atkins is seeking a Senior, Principal or Associate level consultant with a strong technical, people, stakeholder and project management skillset for a secondment opportunity with HS2.
The secondment would initially be for up to one year with the possibility of extension beyond this. On completion of the secondment, opportunities would exist within the Air Quality and Emissions team within Atkins’ Infrastructure division and the team would be available to provide support on air quality tasks during the secondment.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, providing services for clients across a range of market sectors including transportation, cities, water, energy and defence.
The Air Quality and Emissions team within Atkins’ Infrastructure division is committed to providing specialist air quality consultancy services in connection with land development, transport and energy projects. Our work includes undertaking desk and field based air quality, dust and odour impact assessments for planning applications, emissions calculations and dispersion modelling, air quality action planning, mitigation design, specialist services for environmental permit applications and Environmental Impact Assessments, and technical advisory services including developing guidance and tools.
We have a reputation for delivering technically demanding projects and employing innovative approaches. We work for a range of government departments, multi-national industrial clients, funding agencies and lenders, property developers, infrastructure contractors and regulatory authorities.
Atkins currently has 17 air quality consultants based in offices primarily in our South East “centre of excellence”. We operate across the UK and internationally, working closely with colleagues from other environmental and engineering disciplines, across all the diverse markets Atkins works in.
For the secondment opportunity the key responsibilities are:
- Providing leadership and specialist technical knowledge on air quality.
- Liaising with stakeholders via various different forums to obtain air quality information and to ensure the stakeholder’s requirements are understood.
- Reporting and presenting on key technical issues clearly and concisely such that the information is understandable to non-specialists.
- Presenting on the air quality topic to a variety of audiences including, specialists within the organisation, local authorities and community members.
- Managing consultants and contractors appointed to undertake air quality monitoring and assessment related to construction works.
- Working collaboratively with technical specialists including other environmental specialists, engineers, construction experts and project managers within the organisation and within contractor organisations.
- Reviewing and critically appraising deliverables produced by consultants and contractors to ensure compliance with organisation technical air quality requirements, UK air quality best practice guidance and EU and UK air quality laws and regulations.
- Working with academic institutions and other organisations to further knowledge and understanding of air quality monitoring techniques, green infrastructure and low and zero emission technologies, with the aim of contributing to the development of future best practice.
- Input to workload and budget planning within the organisation and for partner organisations.
- Degree or Masters qualified in an environmental or science subject.
- Chartered (or actively working towards such) with a relevant professional institute [If not yet Chartered, we would expect the candidate, with our support, to become Chartered within 12 months of joining.]
- A proven track record in air quality within in a consultancy and/or the construction industry.
- Knowledge and experience of undertaking air quality and dust monitoring, analysis of air quality datasets, including air quality and dust monitoring data, undertaking or reviewing detailed dispersion modelling, environmental impact assessment, options appraisals and feasibility studies.
- Experience of undertaking or reviewing air quality assessments in support of large infrastructure projects, particularly transport schemes.
- Excellent working knowledge and demonstrable understanding of relevant legislation, policy, technical guidance and industry standards and best practice relating to air quality.
- Experience of project management, supervision and quality assurance of air quality packages of work including managing others to delivery against high technical standards.
- Able to present own and others’ work to stakeholders at meetings.
- Commercial awareness and understanding, and able to prepare complete responses to tenders.
- A full UK driving licence.
- Experience of working on large scale infrastructure projects during the construction phase.
- A good understanding of GIS and experience with document management systems such as CRM, SharePoint and Enterprise Bridge.
- Knowledge of contract management, including NEC.
- Mentoring of junior staff and providing support and advice when not collocated in the same office.
- Experience in providing support to senior management in developing new business and the preparation of commercial offers to maintain and expand the current client base.
We are looking for a highly motivated, experienced and adaptable individual with;
- Excellent interpersonal, technical and client management skills.
- Expertise in air quality assessment, notably transport schemes, with attention to detail, strong problem-solving and data interpretation skills.
- Proven track record of successful regulator and community stakeholder engagement.
- Able to work under own initiative and plan prioritise own workload.
- Continue to develop own competence and maintain continuing professional development.
- Strong IT skills and proven working ability to use Office based software, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, coupled with an aptitude towards learning and utilising new software.
- Able to represent the secondment organisation and Atkins well and continue to build personal, team and reputation.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Training opportunities would also be available with the secondment organisation.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we would encourage you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.