HOARE Lea are a highly successful multi-disciplinary international firm of building services consultants. With a focus on the built environment, our design-led service is supported by our commitment to innovation and design excellence.
We are seeking a highly motivated Technician or Graduate to become a key part of our growing air quality team based in our newly refurbished centrally located Manchester office on the top floor of the grade II listed Royal Exchange building. This is a fantastic development opportunity for someone eager to work in a fast paced professional environment and join our specially established team with huge development potential.
We are a highly successful multi-disciplinary international firm of building services consultants. With a focus on the built environment, our design-led service is supported by our commitment to innovation and design excellence. Our innovative approach extends beyond the work we deliver, we are constantly challenging the working methods we employ to create more efficient ways of working or use of latest technology which benefit the team and our clients.
Our Air Quality service has been set up in response to ever increasing statutory requirements relating to air quality and demand in the build environment. Our dynamic and young team are supported to deliver innovative approaches and work UK wide covering all Hoare Lea offices. Our work not only addresses the legal requirements but we look to offer the people who use the developments a healthy and comfortable environment in which to thrive, while ensuring that neighbours and others in the wider environment are protected from any harmful impacts.
What you’ll be doing
Working as part of the air quality team you will be supporting your air quality colleagues through involvement in an exciting range of projects, including hotels, offices, airports, housing and waste developments. You will be exposed to a variety of different disciplines, including transport, acoustics, planning and mechanical and electrical engineering, and be a key part of project teams working through the design and development process.
As your learning progresses you will be responsible for elements of detailed design delivery, such as mitigation specifications, and be given increasing responsibility and autonomy in delivery of your work whilst having continued support by our range of in house specialists.
This is a rare opportunity to get involved in a developing team and have the opportunity to influence its growth and evolution at a time when air quality is crucial and key.
You will learn to carry out tasks such as:
- Dispersion air quality modelling using ADMS software packages – predicting concentrations of the various harmful pollutants like NO2 and PM10.
- Air quality assessment report writing – supporting our existing team and developing your understanding of how pollutant impact people and wildlife.
- Analysis of various data sets including road traffic and combustion energy system information – manipulating and being part of the development of data processing systems to interpret results.
- On site air quality monitoring - undertaken on site setup and maintenance of diffusion tube and semi-permanent onsite real time air quality monitors on sites including construction sites.
- Production of design advice documents.
What we’re looking for
- Graduate level: an expected or achieved 2.1 or above in a degree in engineering, science, environmental or math’s related subjects. A postgraduate qualification in environmental sciences, technology, engineering or environmental policy would be preferable – but not essential.
- Technician level: Achieved grade B or higher in GCSE Combined Science or Chemistry. Achieved grade C or higher in GCSE English Language, English Literature and Maths. It would be advantageous to have achieved a grade C or higher at GCSE level in one or more of the following: geography, business studies, biology, ICT, physics or statistics.
Skills and Experience
- Strong mathematical / quantitative analysis skills – proficient in EXCEL software.
- A friendly, ambitious and positive individual with a flexible and resilient approach.
- Ability to work both in a team environment and independently.
- Good communication, analytical and organisational skills.
- Basic knowledge of air quality monitoring techniques and strategies and some experience of using air dispersion models would be advantageous at graduate level – but not essential.
- Previous placement or work experience in an air quality consultancy is an advantage.
What we can offer you
- Working on exciting projects from day one.
- Exposure to variety of sectors and disciplines.
- Opportunity to be part of a high-performing fledgling team and contribute to the evolution of the next generation of operational tools.
- Active support towards professional accreditation.
- Be part of a supportive team.
- Highly competitive starting salary.
- Strong professional development training scheme.
- Access to a range of senior air quality scientists for the highest quality personal development and mentoring.
- Competitive benefits package.
- 25 days’ annual leave.
- £16-24k depending on qualifications and experience.
How To Apply…It’s Simple
Please complete our application form and attach a copy of your CV via our website. We are really keen to see people with a genuine interest in the role and look forward to meeting ambitious individuals.