Arup are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world. Arup is a trust-owned firm with no individual shareholders or external investors, Arup sets its own direction – independently. This allows us to choose work that aligns with our values, working with clients on ambitious projects that will set new standards. As a professional members’ organisation, our staff share in our annual profit.
Our London office hosts the largest environmental team in the company, currently numbering around 60 people across a variety of different specialist disciplines, including air quality, ecology, environmental and health impact assessment, sustainability, cultural heritage, contaminated land and waste. This diversity enables large and complex projects to be undertaken by the London team on its own and in collaboration with our regional offices and centres elsewhere. As a result, our people benefit from opportunities across a range of projects and locations.
Our air quality team is a growing team working on a diverse range of air quality and odour projects with budgets from a few thousand pounds to over £300,000. Within this team you would have the opportunity to work on major infrastructure projects such as HS2, large airports, new roads schemes and energy generation projects. We also work on a wide range of smaller projects covering all areas of air quality and odour assessment where you would have direct contact with clients and responsibility for project management. We are involved in internal and external research projects, for instance investigating the impact of green infrastructure on air quality and investigating measures for indoor air quality.
As a result of our continued growth we have an opportunity for an experienced associate/principal air quality consultant to join our extremely successful and highly recognized multidisciplinary consultancy with an enviable reputation as one of the world's leading consultancies.
You will have a proven track record in the sector, be able to provide technical guidance to various teams on projects, act as project manager for technical studies and assist with business development. This is an opportunity to work on a variety of different projects including new road proposals, airports, commercial, retail and residential development, waste disposal, odour assessment and construction dust. Experience on major highways projects and/or experience of air quality monitoring is particularly desirable.
- Project management
- Assisting with all aspects of project delivery
- Managing project teams to ensure production of deliverables to agreed timelines
- Responding to enquiries, communicating with clients to establish their needs and drafting fee proposals
- Team mentoring
- Help to develop and secure new business, negotiating with clients and contractors to develop existing relationships and to forge new business relationships
Essential qualifications and experience:
- BSc/MSc or equivalent in a relevant discipline
- Typically around 8 or more years’ experience in air quality consultancy
- Full UK driving licence
- IES/IAQM/IEMA membership; you should be Chartered, or working towards Chartership with an appropriate organization (e.g. IES/IEMA)
- Good working knowledge of legislative and planning framework
- Expertise in atmospheric dispersion modelling using models such as ADMS-Roads, AERMOD and ADMS 5
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in writing and verbally
- Excellent numerical skills
- Experience of providing input to technical and financial proposals, project management, checking of reports, business development, Quality Assurance (QA) and Health and safety (H&S) aspects of projects, and continuing professional development
- Familiarity with commonly applied air quality monitoring methods
- Experienced user of GIS and Microsoft Excel
- Experience of major highways projects
- Experience of automatic monitoring techniques
- Experience of business development
Flexible hours and part time working in this role
We are keen to support flexible working whenever the role allows, so if you would like to explore the possibilities associated with this opportunity, please let us know what you’re looking for in your covering letter when you apply.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.