This role is part of the Net Zero Carbon and Environmental Sustainability Team, which is responsible for bringing together the activities National Highways is already taking to reduce and mitigate our carbon emissions, and the further future activities being identified to help meet the Government’s commitment to meet net zero carbon emissions by 2050. This role will sit within the Economics Group in the Chief Analyst’s Division but will entirely serve the Net Zero Carbon and Environmental Sustainability Division with analysis and evidence to support its objectives.
The Net Zero Carbon and Environmental Sustainability Team also has responsibility for advising and updating National Highways Executive and Board on the progress of the Net Zero and Environmental Sustainability Strategy and the subsequent Plan that will give momentum in putting commitments and recommendations into action.
This role is responsible for; ensuring the Net Zero Carbon and Environmental Sustainability Plan is supported and underpinned by a robust body of evidence and data, and delivering baseline positions for our plans. The role holder will monitor progress of our activities towards the 2050 target against the baseline and deliver against a series of internal, and external targets (Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and Performance Indicators (PIs)), as required.
What you'll be leading on:
- Build upon the evidence base in the Net Zero Carbon and Environmental Sustainability Strategy, including establishing baseline positions and providing recommendations on analytical governance.
- Ensure the evidence base and digital datasets are robust, comprehensive, secure and up-to-date.
- Deliver and implement a data and analytical strategy to support the development and implementation of the Net Zero Carbon and Environmental Sustainability Plan.
- Lead the development of appropriate Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and Performance Indicators (PIs) to demonstrate progress against the Net Zero Carbon and Environmental Sustainability Plan.
- Lead the development of a set of monitoring tools that allows us to forecast carbon reduction and track progress against the Plan and the overall target of net zero carbon by 2050.
- Present information and data that helps obtain stakeholder buy-in for actions, initiatives and programmes that will support the overall target for 2050.
- Collaborate with other teams across the organisation, as required, to ensure consistency in forecasts, scenario modelling and analyses.
- Participate in audit and reporting on data capture, long-term monitoring and digital support systems that contribute to the Strategy, Plan and the overall target for 2050.
To be successful:
Business Knowledge and Experience:
- Understanding of Transport Appraisal Guidance and how it currently accounts for environmental impacts.
- Understanding of carbon data collection at a broad scale and sustainability measures.
- Highly skilled Analyst capable of engaging the business to explain the analytical requirements on both the business case and the performance specification.
- Experience of designing and developing performance metrics and or carrying out analysis to support business cases/government spending.
- Experience of developing, tailoring and implementing analytical tools to allow for forecasting and monitoring.
- Experience of developing strategies and plans in a highly visible, transparent and scrutinised environment in Government or in a regulated/monitored organisation.
- Strong communication skills and ability to influence at a senior level. Experience of presenting technical and complex information at Executive level.
Functional / Technical Skills:
- A professional Analyst, with experience in more than one of the following areas is desirable:
- Data analysis
- Operational research
- Transport Planning
- Environmental analysis with a policy focus
Those with experience limited to one of the above specialisms, must be willing and able to learn and develop in the other areas, to provide support and expertise across the other areas of analysis.
- Educated to degree level in a numerical area or have relevant work experience.
- Strategic thinking to ensure our plans are practical and consistent with the overall direction set for the company.
- Leadership and setting direction in the context of analysis. Setting clear requirements of others and ensuring quality deliverables, enabling confidence in datasets.
- Collaboration across organisational boundaries to facilitate co-development of plans. Forming strong working relationships while working on changing and uncertain topics. Able to understand, interpret and use complex information: analytical, financial and technical.
- Experience of working with technical consultancies is desirable.
- Ability to quality check reports, spot gaps in information and make linkages and connections between initiatives, programmes and work effort. Attention to detail, checking and overseeing through to publication top quality reports and outputs.
- Ability to work with colleagues including overseeing the production of technical work in delivering Net Zero Carbon Team activities.
A bit about us
Strategy and Planning plays a crucial role at the heart of National Highways, providing strategic direction to the organisation and working closely with all directorates to enable the delivery of the company’s ambitious agenda. We lead on key corporate initiatives including the long-term ambition for our Strategic Road Network (SRN), the production and review of the 5-year Strategic Business and Delivery Plans and developing our national plans covering route strategies, investment and economic growth.
So, if you want to get involved with our relationships with our statutory stakeholders, develop our strategic business plan to deliver the government’s road investment strategy, provide high-quality analyses to the rest of the organisation and lead on our key corporate initiatives, then we’re the right place for you.
The sifting dates are 8th - 18th November 2022.
If your application is successful you will be invited to attend an interview.
You will be notified via email to log-in to your National Highways Account to book your interview slot. You will then be sent an email with full details of your arrangements for interview.
Interviews are planned to take place from Monday 28th November. Our preference is for interviews to be face-to-face at one of our offices across England. However, interviews via MS Teams maybe possible upon request.
The first part of the interview; you will be asked to prepare a presentation prior to the interview on which you will be assessed. Further details on what this will entail, will be sent to you at the time of interview invite, at least 1 week in advance.
Next will be the panel interview. The panel interview will be approximately 45 minutes - 1 hour in length where you will be asked to present followed by questions based on the Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills outlined in the role profile.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Our benefits package:
- Our total reward package includes basic salary, the potential for a performance related bonus.
- Contributory pension scheme with employer contribution of up to 10%.
- Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays).
- Flexible hours and blended working between base location/home.
- Life assurance of 4 times annual salary.
- Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines.
- A cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle and equipment for healthy, low carbon travel.
- Significant investment in your career development, through learning and development, talent management, coaching, mentoring and on job experience.
And we are:
- Family friendly with enhanced maternity leave and pay, paternity leave (15 days), shared parental leave, adoption leave. Plus access to financial support for holiday play schemes and paid special leave (up to 5 days pa), eg for caring responsibilities.
- Money friendly with access to a discounts platform including over 3000 discounts for supermarkets, eating out, leisure, holidays. Alongside a financial wellbeing programme.
- Community friendly – offering paid leave to volunteer, 3 days basic/year plus an extra 3 days to support the national Covid effort.
If you are successful, it is key to know all offers of employment are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks which include:
- Right to work check.
- 3 year employment history references.
- DBS criminal record check.
- Social media and adverse journalism check.
- Driving licence check (if applicable).
- Fit to work questionnaire (for all), followed by a medical check (if applicable).
We reserve the right to close before the advertisement expires.