Highways England is the new government owned company responsible for driving forward our motorways and major A roads. This includes; modernising and maintaining the highways, running the network and keeping traffic moving. Over recent years, investment in our highways has increased. This has led to advances in technology, such as smart motorways; enabling traffic to flow better. However, even more is yet to be done.
Certainty of funding and greater flexibility will enable us to become a better business. In our first five years alone, we’ll invest £11 billion in motorways and A roads – boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety. At the same time, we’ll improve how we work. That means we will be able to; plan roadworks better to minimise disruption; clear incidents more quickly; and save more than £1 billion by working more efficiently.
For further information on Highways England, please visit our website: http://www.highwaysengland.co.uk
As an Environmental Advisor based in our Manchester office you will be supporting the air quality programme, to delivery better environmental outcomes, by providing environmental impact assessment advice, technical air quality advice, supporting a range of new road schemes, and the delivery of extensive research projects. The role requires an understanding of the relevant statutory requirements, external standards and good environmental design principles, to support the compliance of project teams. You will also help ensure that Highways England operations are delivered safely, while at the same time delivering best value solutions.
The role offers the opportunity to work alongside some of the leading air quality experts and specialists as we look to deliver our £75 million of air quality funding on solutions to improve air quality alongside our network.
Day to day
As an Environmental Advisor with a focus on air quality you will;
- Provide accurate, practical and timely technical air quality advice (including reviews and governance), relating to environmental assessments, appraisal reports and to support colleagues to help resolve technical issues.
- Support colleagues and wider business with training on air quality.
- Respond to internal and external stakeholder enquiries with appropriate advice and guidance, escalating complex issues appropriately, to support their decision making.
- Input into the development of research opportunities and help in the management and delivery of research projects.
- Act as a focal point between Highways England and local authorities to support local air quality management activities.
- Contribute to the preparation, review and quality assurance of environmental technical documentation, presentations and papers to ensure that they are fit for purpose.
To be successful in this role you will be able to demonstrate that you have;
- Relevant work experience, including providing air quality advice and production of associated technical guidance and/or reporting;
- Experience and specialist knowledge of air quality monitoring and modelling;
- Experience of working in or knowledge of a programme and project environment in line with APMP (or equivalent) principles;
- The ability to use a combination of general and specialist air quality knowledge and understanding to optimise the solutions to complex technical issues involving significant levels of risk;
- Full membership of a relevant professional institution (IAQM, IEMA, or other equivalent professional body with an emphasis on air quality); OR a relevant environmental degree (or equivalent) with an emphasis on air quality and evidence of continued professional development that would support the requirements/standards necessary for membership of such bodies.
All applications must be accompanied with a current CV which will be used to assess your suitability for the role. Please ensure all the skills, experience and qualifications requested are clearly demonstrated in your CV as explained in the body of the advert.
Closing date: 26 November 2017.
All applicants must provide their right to work documentation at interview stage, such as a valid passport.
Please note that Highways England reserve the right to close the advert before the advertised closing date should a sufficient response have been received. Therefore, please complete your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
For a full list of our vacancies, please apply at https://recruitment.highways.gov.uk/