The Institution of Environmental Sciences (IES) are seeking to build an Ethics Committee, to consider and review research and activities undertaken by, or under the auspices of, the IES. This committee will be responsible for ensuring all research involving human participants, animal subjects and/or the processing of personal data are thoroughly assessed in accordance with ethical guidelines, including the recommendations for improving on ethical best practice and conduct. This committee may also be required to consider and review non-research related activities that require ethical assessment, such as the processing and evaluation of diversity monitoring data, or other such activities as may require ethical assessment and approval.
- To consider ethical implications of all research proposals led by, or in partnership with, the IES
- To address ethical implications of works undertaken by the IES and advise on best practice, policy and conduct
- To evaluate and review current ethics policies, procedures and guidelines
- To commit to attending meetings on an ad-hoc basis, as requested
- To abide by the Terms of Reference for the IES Ethics Committee
- Ability to read, understand and analyse complex issues and weigh up conflicting opinions
- Ability to take an objective stance, looking at a situation from several perspectives
- Good communication with a practical approach and the confidence to voice your opinions
- Understanding of, and experience with, one or more of the following:
- Ethical committee, and review and decision processes
- Diversity and inclusion
- Data protection and GDPR
The Chair of the Committee will be appointed by the Chair of the IES. Thereafter, there are 6 additional positions to fill, including 2 positions reserved for independent members, external from the IES Council.
To apply, please send through your CV and a short statement expressing your interest and why you would be suitable to join the Ethics Committee, to our Programme Lead by 5pm, Friday 26th February 2021. Appointment of committee membership will be conducted by the Chair of the Ethics Committee