Atkins is seeking a Principal Consultant with a strong technical, people, stakeholder and project management skillset to join the Air Quality & Emissions team.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, providing services for clients across a range of market sectors including transportation, cities, water, energy and defence.
The Air Quality and Emissions team within Atkins’ Infrastructure division is committed to providing specialist air quality consultancy services in connection with land development, transport and energy projects. Our work includes undertaking desk and field based air quality, dust and odour impact assessments for planning applications, emissions calculations and dispersion modelling, air quality action planning, mitigation design, specialist services for environmental permit applications and Environmental Impact Assessments, and technical advisory services including developing guidance and tools.
We have a reputation for delivering technically demanding projects and employing innovative approaches. We work for a range of government departments, multi-national industrial clients, funding agencies and lenders, property developers, infrastructure contractors and regulatory authorities.
Atkins currently has 17 air quality consultants based in offices primarily in our South East “centre of excellence”. We operate across the UK and internationally, working closely with colleagues from other environmental and engineering disciplines, across all the diverse markets Atkins works in.
- Lead technical teams on a day to day basis on a variety of projects.
- Provide technical guidance, constructive support and mentoring to staff in support of their technical development.
- Liaise with clients, stakeholders, regulators, subcontractors and other internal disciplines.
- Support senior management in developing new business and the preparation of commercial offers to maintain and expand the current client base.
- Work with the local and wider Atkins team across the UK.
- Continue to develop own competence and maintain continuing professional development, with support from the business.
- Report and present on key technical issues clearly and concisely such that the information is understandable to non-specialists.
- Represent the company well and continue to build personal, team and company reputation.
- Degree or Masters qualified in an environmental or science subject.
- Chartered (or actively working towards such) with a relevant professional institute [If not yet Chartered, we would expect the candidate, with our support, to become Chartered within 12 months of joining.]
- A proven track record in air quality consultancy with knowledge of and experience in developing emissions inventories, undertaking detailed dispersion modelling, environmental impact assessment, options appraisals and feasibility studies.
- Experience of undertaking air quality assessments in support of large infrastructure projects, particularly transport schemes.
- Experience in developing air quality and emissions business opportunities, either alone or as part of wider team supporting.
- Excellent working knowledge and demonstrable understanding of relevant legislation, policy, technical guidance and industry standards and best practice relating to air quality.
- Experience of project management, supervision and quality assurance of air quality packages of work including managing others to delivery against high technical standards.
- Able to present own and others’ work to clients and stakeholders at meetings.
- Commercial awareness and understanding, and able to prepare complete responses to tenders.
- A full UK driving licence.
- Experience in the justification, design and/or assessment of low emission and/or clean air zones.
- Able to mentor staff and technically check their work, and complete peer reviews of other consultants’ work.
- Security cleared for work on nuclear and defence projects.
- Experience in environmental permitting and industrial modelling
We are looking for a highly motivated, experienced and adaptable individual with:
- Excellent interpersonal, technical, project management and client management skills.
- Able to undertake and deliver business development as part of a sales plan.
- Expertise in air quality assessment, notably transport schemes, with attention to detail, strong problem-solving and data interpretation skills.
- Proven track record of successful client and regulatory engagement; and to be capable of delivering the high standard of air quality problem solving consultancy services for which Atkins is renowned.
- Formal people management opportunities are available for the right candidate, if desired.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we would encourage you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.