The Institution of Environmental Sciences (IES) is a membership organisation that represents professionals from fields as diverse as air quality, land contamination and education - wherever you find environmental work underpinned by sound science.
A visionary organisation leading debate, dissemination and promotion of environmental science and sustainability, the IES promotes an evidence-based approach to decision and policy making.
The Publications & Policy Officer will be responsible for delivering and further developing publications and policy for the IES and all its constituent bodies, including the Committee of Heads of Environmental Sciences (CHES), Institute of Air Quality Management (IAQM) and Professional Practice for Sustainable Development (PP4SD).
Benefits of this opportunity
The IES is the leading environmental science organisation in the UK. The successful candidate will be responsible for delivering sector-leading publications on a wide range of topics. Working with our graphic designer and copy editor, the graduate will learn a wide range of skills in delivering publications, including: project conception and management; editing; managing authors, designers and printers; managing expert groups; and promotion.
The successful candidate will develop processes to engage members and outside experts and organisations to producing high calibre policy and thought leadership pieces. They will have access to our network of contacts within Parliament, Government Departments, arms-length bodies and local authorities and will develop these relationships.
Future employment potential
This new position is a one-year full time role with a three month probationary period, with the view to extending if successful.
- Candidates must be a graduate
- Demonstrable experience in either policy work or in developing reports or magazines
- Experience of developing and managing external partnerships in the delivery of projects
- Knowledgeable enough in politics/science to be able to put forward and defend a point of view
- Engaging and confident manner to deal with senior people such as MPs
- Astute – able to grasp complex ideas and discern relevant information quickly
- Ability to work to targets and to achieve the desired outcomes
- Appreciation of the nature of accountability and ethics
- Familiarity with the techniques required to write scientific briefings and reports
- Strong statistical skills
- Experience with a think-tank, campaigning organisation or other similar policy experience
- Experience of working with and managing small teams
Change Agents UK are handling the applications for this post. A full job description and how to apply can be found on their website