At South West Water, we’re responsible for providing reliable, efficient and high-quality drinking water and wastewater services to the beautiful South West area in a sustainable way. For us, success is in the smiles of over 1.7 million customers. And it’s all down to our people.
Would you like to apply your organisation and communication skills within a progressive company with a focus on the future? Are you looking for a role where you can use your experience to bring about real change within a proactive and environmentally-conscious company?
We currently have an opportunity for a Science and Environment Manager to join our team based in Plymouth. Joining us on a full-time permanent basis, you will receive a competitive salary of £40,000 - £52,000 per annum plus excellent benefits.
About the role
As our Science and Environment Manager you will provide scientific operational support to the Operations Team in order to achieve optimum cost-effective works performance and monitoring of environmental discharges and report to the Regional Wastewater Science and Environment Manager.
This is a diverse and challenging role. It includes responsibility for Wastewater site compliance and trade effluent discharges, alongside environmental targets around carbon and our commitment to net zero.
You will lead a dedicated highly skilled team of scientists and technicians and support their growth and development. Whilst assisting the regional manager in shaping vision for on-going improvement to meet future challenges.
What you will be doing:
- Ensuring regulatory compliance at minimum cost through pro-active management and timely process intervention;
- Lead delivery of in-house projects and efficiencies whilst working alongside the local operations team with whom you will build strong links;
- Implement a pro-active Trade Effluent control policy within the Area that ensures that Health and Safety, Company assets and effluent quality are not compromised;
- Stay up to date with industry advancements and processes and run proactive testing and trials to ensure we remain at the cutting edge of our industry;
- Supporting and driving carbon efficiency and delivery of net zero• Ensure personnel issues within the team are effectively managed to optimise employee performance and productivity and support the development and progression of the team.
What we are looking for:
- Degree level qualification (preferably in a scientific area);
- Proven ability to coach, mentor and develop others;
- Awareness of current and emerging challenges in the wastewater area;
- Passionate about problem solving and ability to innovate and think outside of the box;
- A supporting and strong team player who wants to make a difference;
- Professional communication skills, written and verbal.