About RPS Group
RPS is a leading global professional services firm of 5,600 people. We define, design and manage projects that create shared value in a complex, urbanising and resource-scarce world.
Connecting with our global expertise we make it easy for our clients to create winning solutions for their communities and their clients. By being confidently pragmatic we solve problems that matter. We make complex easy.
RPS offers expert consultancy advice on all aspects of air quality and odour. Our approach of upfront consultation with the local planning authority and regulators, detailed inside knowledge of the good practice methods of assessment, and robust responses to any post-submission queries, means our clients benefit from enhanced prospects for obtaining planning permission and other consents.
Our air quality assessments cover the impact of new developments on the surrounding environment and the suitability of the proposed site for the type of development in question. We use predictive models (including ADMS, AERMOD) and monitoring to assess the full range of air pollutants including industrial particulate and gaseous emissions, traffic pollutants, odour, dusts and bioaerosols. We also help clients gain BREEAM HEA02 credits.
We are looking for a Senior Air Quality Consultant to join the busy and vibrant team based in our Brighton office. The successful candidate will work within an established team to provide air quality consultancy advice to clients, generally related to new development and/or industrial processes requiring assessment to support planning and permit applications.
About the role
- Atmospheric dispersion modelling of road emission sources and stationary point sources.
- Undertaking calculations and processing modelling/monitoring results, interpretation of data, and production of reports, drawings, figures and tables.
- Assessment of odour and dust risks.
- Project managing air quality projects of some complexity within timescales and according to agreed budgets, including control of scope of work.
- Actively contributing ideas to identifying changes in working practices to maximise internal efficiencies.
- Providing guidance and well-informed advice to less experienced consultants.
- Deputising for Principal Consultants and Directors.
- A high level of technical proficiency across the main Air Quality areas (air quality dispersion modelling, ambient air quality monitoring).
- Numerically proficient and IT literate, with general computer-related skills in word processing, spreadsheets, GIS and Autocad.
- Detailed understanding of UK Air Quality legislation and relevant technical guidance.
- Ability to work to defined procedures, but with good analytical and problem-solving skills: able to gather and analyse information, identifying the key elements and then use the data to make sound judgments and act on the decision.
- Manages own time and working effectiveness and that of any junior project staff to ensure delivery of the work to the client to agreed standard and deadline.
- Degree in mathematics, physics, chemistry, environmental science, geography or similar subject preferably with a related Masters Degree.
- Solid professional experience of modelling air quality impacts associated with emissions from road vehicles and stacks.
- Full Membership of the Institute of Air Quality Management or the necessary qualifications/ experience to become a Member.
- Extensive experience of ADMS Roads, ADMS 5 and/or AERMOD. Experience of modelling emissions from airports is desirable.
- Full, clean UK driving licence.
What we can offer you
We will provide you with a flexible, friendly and creative environment to develop your skills and challenge yourself. We support our people to innovate, collaborate and build meaningful careers. Our network of people and knowledge will expand your horizons and give you access to a variety of interesting projects.
Benefits include: 24 days holiday + bank holidays, Option to purchase up to 5 extra days per year, Company pension scheme, Share Incentive Scheme, Life Assurance, Cycle to Work Scheme, Health Screening, Employee Assistance Programme, Professional Memberships and commitment to on-going CPD.