Arup is a multidisciplinary firm of scientists, consultants, planners and engineers, with approaching 10000 staff in 40 offices around the world. In the UK, we have almost 6000 people in offices across the country. Located on the outskirts of Solihull the working environment of our Midland Campus is second to none and the opportunity to interact with the many diverse groups within the Campus enriches the work experience. The office is a designated no smoking area with numerous sporting and social networking opportunities
An Air Quality specialist is sought to join the Environmental Group at the Midlands Campus. The Environment Team comprises 25+ enthusiastic staff working on a wide variety of projects, including road and rail infrastructure, development sites, regeneration, environmental statements and all types of built development in the UK and abroad. Workload is for a variety of internal and external clients usually within a multidisciplinary framework. Arup already has several other air quality consultants working in other regions and this group works as an integrated team to deliver large projects. The team has a national reputation in air quality assessment and inputs to several hundred projects a year.
To provide air quality advice and assessment, working as part of a multi discipline team and also supporting a national air quality skills network. We also have a growing workload in odour assessment and into health impact assessment. The work will involve undertaking air quality assessments to accompany planning applications as part of Environmental Statements, Transport and Environmental Appraisals. The candidate will be responsible for their own work and technical checking of others’ work working under the guidance of the national leader. Regular contact and liaison with both internal and external clients and regulatory authorities will be a key aspect of the role. There will be a business development remit as our aim is to grow the air quality business in the Midlands, with the support of the national team.
Essential Skills and Knowledge
Candidates need to be able to demonstrate relevant practical experience in undertaking:
- Design and management of air quality monitoring programmes;
- Interpretation of air quality monitoring data
- Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB) screening assessments;
- Report writing, including air quality chapters of environmental statements and air quality assessment reports;
- Good working knowledge of legislative and planning framework;
- Expertise in atmospheric dispersion modelling using ADMS Roads, AERMOD and ADMS 5;
- Input to technical and financial proposals, project management, checking of reports, business development, Quality Assurance (QA) and Health and safety(H&S) aspects and continuing professional development.
Candidates should have an appropriate degree and post graduate qualification plus a minimum of 5 years’ experience within the air quality sector, probably within an environmental consultancy, or a local authority environmental protection department. Candidates should be Chartered, or working towards Chartership with an appropriate organisation.
Desirable skills and knowledge:
- Experience of odour assessment
- Experience of health impact assessment
- Experience of contaminated land assessment would be advantageous.
- Language skills would be advantageous.
Reward and Benefits:
Arup is a fully employee owned business which is fundamental to defining the unique culture of our company. This means that the entire value of the firm is held in trust which specifies all Arup employees and their children as the only beneficiaries. Being 100% owned in trust means that Arup has no external shareholders enabling us to share profits with all of our members. This underpins Arup’s essential independence and helps us to attract the very best people. It allows us to pursue projects and ideas that simply would not be possible elsewhere allowing us to “shape a better world”