Atkins is seeking a Principal / Senior Air Quality Consultant with a strong technical, people, stakeholder and project management skillset to join the Air Quality & Emissions team. The role would be based in London, Epsom, Bristol, Birmingham, Warrington, Manchester, Edinburgh or Glasgow, although we would consider alternative locations for the right candidate.
Our work includes undertaking desk and field-based air quality, dust and odour impact assessments for planning applications, emissions calculations and dispersion modelling, air quality action planning, mitigation design, specialist services for environmental permit applications and Environmental Impact Assessments, and technical advisory services including developing guidance and tools.
We have a reputation for delivering technically demanding projects and employing innovative approaches. We work for a range of government departments, multi-national industrial clients, funding agencies and lenders, property developers, infrastructure contractors and regulatory authorities.
Atkins currently has 17 air quality consultants based in offices primarily in our South East “centre of excellence”. We operate across the UK and internationally, working closely with colleagues from other environmental and engineering disciplines, across all the diverse markets Atkins works in.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Provide technical, programme and commercial management for air quality projects;
- Provide technical support and mentoring to other members of the air quality team;
- Input to a range of projects across different sectors and stages;
- Manage and review air quality, dust and odour impact assessments and reports;
- Design and manage air quality, dust and odour surveys;
- Define and work within project deadlines and budgets;
- Provide support on bids and with business development to help win work for the team;
- Manage own time and workload and that of other team members;
- Continuously develop their technical, project management and commercial skills; and
- Liaise with clients, stakeholders, regulators, subcontractors and other internal disciplines.
- Work collaboratively as part of a wider team of other professionals (e.g. environmental scientists, engineers and planners) across Atkins, to provide a consistent and integrated service to our clients.
- More senior candidates will of course have additional requirements commensurate to the role, including demonstrating relevant experience of bid writing, managing projects, their standing in their technical field and line management of staff.
- If you think you are the right person to join our team and can demonstrate the qualifications and experience criteria below, then we look forward to hearing from you.
- A degree in a relevant environmental or scientific discipline, and preferably also a Masters;
- Full Membership of the Institute of Air Quality Management (IAQM), or the necessary qualifications to become such a member; and
- Chartered (or actively working towards such) with a relevant professional institute [If not yet Chartered, we would expect the candidate, with our support, to become Chartered within 12 months of joining.
The following criteria are essential for any role within the team:
- Experience within the UK air quality sector, preferably within environmental consultancy;
- A thorough understanding of air quality legislation, policy and guidance;
- Experience of the co-ordination and technical review of air quality assessments;
- The ability to analyse complex datasets using spreadsheet and GIS based tools;
- The ability to summarise and present air quality issues in a clear and concise way;
- The ability to interpret and respond to simple or more complex tenders for air quality services and understand our clients’ needs;
- An understanding of the interrelationships with other environmental impact specialisms;
- The ability to meet and converse with clients and manage their needs in a confident, professional manner;
- Proficiency in the application of air emissions databases and dispersion models for industrial and/or transport sources (e.g. ADMS Roads and / or AERMOD);
- Proficiency in the use of standard IT applications, including Word, Excel and Outlook;
- An understanding of the importance of health and safety risk management;
- A full valid UK/EEC driving licence; and
- The legal right to work in the UK.
- Demonstrable experience in one or more of the following areas would also be desirable:
- Experience of working with Highways England and/or the Environment Agency;
- Specialist knowledge of and experience in assessing Clean Air Zones;
- Experience of using R software or similar statistical analysis packages;
- Experience of preparing material for and presenting at public inquiries and public consultations or similar;
- An understanding of commercial contracts; and
- Experience of co-ordinating the work of multi-disciplinary teams.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we would encourage you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.