At South West Water we believe that the strongest businesses are built on solid, stable foundations - with a vision and a culture that gives them the freedom to change, improve and innovate. We’re proud to be responsible for providing reliable, efficient and high-quality drinking water and wastewater services for the beautiful South West area. And we have huge ambitions. Not only are we committed to reaching net-zero by 2030, but we’ve also partnered with wildlife charities, National Parks and local partners to help ensure a better future for generations to come. So, if you want to be part of a diverse team where opportunities flow and fresh ideas are welcomed, #JustAddWater.
Would you like to work within a high-performing team where your skills and experience can make a difference?
We currently have an opportunity available for a Waste Water Treatment Process Scientist covering Plymouth and South Devon based in Plymouth/Totnes. Joining us on a full-time, permanent basis, you will receive a competitive salary of £24,000 - £41,000 per annum (on progression scheme - depending on knowledge and experience) plus excellent benefits including a formal scientist progression scheme.
About the role
As our Waste Water Treatment Process Scientist, you will provide scientific and technical support to the area teams in order to deliver waste water process optimisation, delivery of chemical and energy efficiencies and the implementation, monitoring and control of trade effluent policy. Additionally, you will provide advice and support to the area delivery team regarding appropriate response to environmental risks. The role has an on-site working arrangement in both the office and field-based.
What you’ll be doing as our Wastewater Treatment Process Scientist:
- Providing planned and reactive scientific and technical support to the waste water operational teams to ensure regulatory compliance at the best cost. This includes conducting site visits to sewage treatment works to assess operational performance, identification of problems and provision of suggested improvements;
- Delivering in-house Works Performance Optimisation projects (WPO) focussed on energy and chemical efficiencies;
- Participation in an out of hours pollution response standby rota enabling immediate environmental assessment of a potential pollution. This includes assisting with subsequent reviews of pollutions and environmental events to aid learning and process improvements;
- Implementing Trade Effluent control policy to ensure that the health and safety of downstream staff, the sewerage network and the receiving sewage treatment works are not compromised;
- Undertake Trade Effluent regulatory sampling and monitoring to ensure compliance with discharge permits;
- Preparing reports on various aspects including operational performance and cost-saving opportunities;
- Assisting with investigations into Non-trade illicit discharges in conjunction with area catchment teams;
- Supporting capital investment projects on sewage treatment works;
- Providing scientific support to the wastewater treatment managers in relation to the receipt of inter-works sludges and external commercial wastes;
- Assist with the trialling of new technologies and innovations;
- Supporting the area teams with investigations associated with odour complaints and the optimisation of odour control systems.
What we are looking for:
- 5 GCSEs graded 5 or above in Maths, English and a Science subject;
- Minimum of an HNC or equivalent in a scientific discipline;
- Full UK Driving License;
- Experience of working within a scientific environment;
- The ability to work with a variety of people with differing backgrounds;
- Be able to work within a reactive environment with frequently changing priorities;
- The ability to apply scientific theory in a practical scenario.
What's in it for you:
At South West Water, we don’t all do the same job, but we each get out of bed in the morning knowing that every day is a chance to make incredible things happen, together. In return for our people’s hard work and commitment, we offer an excellent range of benefits:
- Waste water treatment process scientist progression scheme;
- Generous holiday allowance plus bank holidays;
- Buy or sell annual leave to offer you extra flexibility;
- Buy a bike and safety equipment tax-free, through our Cycle to Work scheme;
- We offer free car parking at the majority of our sites;
- Take up to 26 weeks’ additional maternity leave;
- Share your parental leave and split your time off to care for your child how you choose;
- Invest in Pennon Group plc through our employee share schemes;
- We support our people by offering a free, confidential Employee Assistance Programme;
- Look after your wellbeing with our Champion Health support platform;
- Enjoy free eye tests and discounts on frames and lenses at Specsavers;
- Enjoy access to thousands of deals and discounts on supermarkets, high street shops, online retailers, travel, eating out, cinemas, gyms and much more though Perkbox;
- A range of group discounts: The Dell Advantage Programme, Virgin Media Affinity Scheme, Vodaphone Advantage and more;
- A discretionary Bonus;
- Competitive Contributory Pension.
If you are looking for a new challenge, please click apply now to be considered as our Waste Water Treatment Process Scientist- we look forward to receiving your application.
Please note that the successful candidate will be subject to a mandatory DBS check as part of the onboarding process.
Be yourself, we like it that way. Together, we will build a culture of belonging, where inclusion is instinctive. Diversity is our strength and a reflection of our communities. We care, we value everyone, we celebrate uniqueness.
Our core values which are essential to our success are:
- Trusted - We do the right thing for our customers and stakeholders.
- Collaborative - We forge strong relationships working together to make a positive impact.
- Responsible - We keep our promises to our customers, communities, and each other.
- Progressive - We are always looking for new ways to improve and make life better.