SoBRA’s report Guidance on Assessing Risk to Controlled Waters from UK Land Contamination Under Conditions of Future Climate Change (August 2022) is the first national industry guidance to actively consider how predicted climate change impacts should be incorporated within controlled waters risk assessments to ensure they remain sustainable and robust. This presentation provided an overview of the guidance, including:
- a brief summary of regulatory background;
- an overview of climate change in the UK;
- how the effects of climate change could be incorporated in the hydrogeological conceptual site model (CSM);
- addressing climate change through all stages of land contamination risk assessment (PRA, GQRA and DQRA), including example case studies;
- signposting towards useful data sources.