Locations available: London, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Leeds, Warrington, Glasgow, Manchester
Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to further your career as an air quality consultant? We are seeking candidates for a senior air quality specialist to join our expanding Air Quality and Emissions team. The position is permanent and would be based in the South East of the UK, although for the right candidate we would consider alternative locations.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, providing services for clients across a range of market sectors including transportation, cities, water, energy and defence.
The Air Quality and Emissions team within Atkins’ Infrastructure division is committed to providing specialist air quality consultancy services in connection with land development, transport and energy projects. Our work includes undertaking desk based air quality and dust impact assessments for planning applications, emissions calculations and dispersion modelling, air quality management plans, mitigation design, field-based air quality surveys, specialist services for environmental permit applications and Environmental Impact Assessments, and technical advisory services including developing guidance and tools. We have a reputation for delivering technically demanding projects and employing innovative approaches to meet challenging timescales, and work for a range of government departments, multi-national industrial clients, funding agencies and lenders, property developers, infrastructure contractors and regulatory authorities.
Atkins currently has 15 air quality consultants based in offices primarily in our South East “centre of excellence”. We operate across the UK and internationally, working closely with colleagues from other environmental and engineering disciplines, across all the diverse markets Atkins works in.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Provide technical, programme and commercial management for air quality projects;
- Provide technical support and mentoring to other members of the air quality team;
- Input to a varied range of projects across different sectors and stages;
- Manage and review air quality, dust and odour impact assessments and reports;
- Design and manage air quality, dust and odour surveys;
- Work within and define , deadlines and budgets;
- Provide support on bids and with business development to help win work for the team;
- Manage own time and workload and that of other team members;
- Continuously develop their technical, project management and commercial skills; and
- Work collaboratively as part of a wider team of other professionals (e.g. environmental scientists, engineers and planners) across Atkins, to provide a consistent and integrated service to our clients.
More senior candidates will of course have additional requirements commensurate to the role, including demonstrating relevant experience of bid writing, managing projects, their standing in their technical field and line management of staff..
If you think you are the right person to join our team and can demonstrate the qualifications and experience criteria below, then we look forward to hearing from you.
Qualifications and Experience
- A degree in a relevant scientific discipline, and preferably also an Masters;
- Proven experience within the UK air quality sector, preferably within environmental consultancy;
- Full Membership of the Institute of Air Quality Management (IAQM), or the necessary qualifications to become such a member; and
- Chartership through a relevant professional institute or the necessary qualifications to become chartered, with the expectation that this will be achieved within 6 months of joining.
The following criteria are essential for any role within the team:
- A thorough understanding of air quality legislation, policy and guidance;
- Experience of the co-ordination and technical review of air quality assessments;
- The ability to interpret and respond to simple or more complex tenders for air quality services and understand our clients’ needs;
- An understanding of the interrelationships with other environmental impact specialisms;
- The ability to meeting and converse with clients and manage their needs in a confident, professional manner;
- Proficiency in the application of air emissions databases and dispersion models for industrial and/or transport sources (e.g. ADMS Roads and / or AERMOD);
- Proficiency in the use of standard IT applications, including Word, Excel and Outlook;
- An understanding of the importance of health and safety risk management;
Demonstrable experience in one or more of the following areas would also be desirable:
- Experience of working with Highways England and/or the Environment Agency;
- Specialist knowledge of and experience in instantaneous emissions modelling;
- Experience of using R software or similar statistical analysis packages;
- Experience of preparing material for and presenting at public inquiries and public consultations or similar;
- An understanding of commercial contracts; and
- Experience of co-ordinating the work of multi-disciplinary teams.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package