This five day course, held at the University of Newcastle and accredited by the IAQM, will:
- Introduce the fundamentals of air pollution with a background on historical perspective on air pollution and a commentary on current air quality policies and standards;
- Discuss major pollutants, their sources and their effects (environmental, economic and health);
- Introduce the methods to estimate air pollution emission from road transport and industrial sources;
- Introduce the theory of dispersion of air pollution in the atmosphere;
- Discuss the major approaches for air pollution modelling;
- Demonstrate the features and the use of most widely used commercial and freely available air quality models;
- Introduce the issues of indoor air pollution and personal exposure to air pollution;
- Demonstrate the methods of estimating disease burden or health impacts of air pollution.
The course will provide delegates with:
- Knowledge of major air pollutants; their sources and their effects (environmental, economic and health) and how emissions are estimated from road traffic and industrial sources
- Insight into the dispersion of air pollution in the atmosphere
- Knowledge and first-hand experience of using some of the most widely used commercial and freely available air quality models
- Knowledge of analysing and presenting outputs of air quality models to a wide range of audiences.
The course will also give delegates the ability to:
- Estimate emissions from industrial and road transport sources
- Estimate air pollution concentrations as a function of emission, meteorology, topography and the built environment for a combination of road and industrial sources
- Estimate health impact of changes in air pollution
- Evaluate various transport policy options in terms of their impacts on emission, air quality and health
- Disseminate emission and air quality results to a wider audience.
Who is the course aimed at?
This short course is aimed at air quality and health planners and experts who are interested in learning about the impacts of air pollution on health and who want to manage air quality for improving health.
For more information and how to book please visit our website. Course fees are £1175.